Thursday, September 29, 2011

Speeches

What makes a good speech? When you type in 'best speech ever' on YouTube this is the first video that comes up:


Is this really the best speech? I'm not sure. But it is a good speech. But what makes it a good speech? His ability to capture your attention? His ability to evoke a feeling in his audience? Or his passion for the subject? Are these all things that lead to giving a great speech? Well, if giving a good speech was based solely on these factors then this little girl would also be a great speaker.


Such a little inspiration! If only I could give myself these daily affirmations! ...see! She got me thinking and wanting to apply her techniques to my life! But does that necessarily mean that this young girl is good a giving speeches?

In class this week, I learned numerous things about speeches. They must be organized and effective. You should know your material, know you audience and know the venue. Be prepared and be sure there is continuity in your speech. Other than that, anyone can give a good speech. If you are passionate about a topic and you don't let yourself have stage freight then we can succeed.

I really enjoyed our lab on Pecha Kucha speeches. We had limited time to come up with a topic and presentation... but it was fun seeing what we could put together!

Here is a video of me last year with my job with Young & Free Alberta. This was my FIRST EVER appearance on live TV. VERY nerve-wracking! I definitely said 'umm' too much but overall I got the message that across that the program wanted me to. Let me know what you think!


If you want to read another blog post about speeches from a classmate, then I would recommend reading Annalise Young's post!

Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I think that knowing your audience and capturing their attention is key. If you love what your talking about and are knowledgeable in that field then the flow of speech should come easy. This passion can translate into the ability to capture the audience’s attention and as you said “evoke a feeling in [the] audience.”
    I don’t think that a speech has to be perfect as long as I am captured into what they are saying. Speakers just need to, like Marie Claude said, “practice, practice, practice!” I really enjoyed your interview with Global news. It was be really difficult to not say “umm” during a speech no matter how prepared you are.
    PS. If only everyone had the same spirit as that little girl. So positive and motivational ☺

    ReplyDelete